So, instead of just explaining how to use snapchat for branding. I'm going to start with how to use it period, because this won't make sense if you don't understand all of the features. This will be broken into three sections: BASICS, BUILDING, AND BRANDING. So here we go!
1. When you open the app you will see the camera view. The top left corner controls the flash. The top left controls whether you're using the front facing camera or the back camera. The lower left corner shows how many direct messages you have. The lower right will take you to everyone's daily stories.
2. If you swipe the screen down, you'll see a screen like this. Your score doesn't really matter. Ignore it. Above that is your username and below, you have the option to see who has added you, your friends (meaning you've both mutually added each other), and you can search for someone. In the top right corner, you can control your settings. This will be important in a minute.
3. You have the option of taking photos or making 10 second videos. You can decide how many seconds you want people to see your pictures in the lower left corner once you take the picture. Please don't make them longer than 5 seconds!!!! Preferably 3! Unless the picture is amazing, we don't want to see it that long!!! If you click on the X on the top left, it deletes the pic. The top right allows you to add text or draw on your photo in whatever color you choose. In the lower left corner, next to the seconds, the down arrow allows you to save the photo on your phone. The page with the plus sign allows you to add pictures or videos to your story. What is your story? Jut wait on it. The lower right arrow allows you to pick who you want to send your pics/vids to, if you'd like to send a direct message.
4. when you open the app, and swipe twice to the right, you will have access to awesome content from a variety of major companies. There is new content every 24 hours.
5. So, here is how you can customize your pics/vids.
Tap on the image to write. Tap on the text button on the top right of the screen to enlarge the text. You can change the color of the text when it's big and change it's size and angle. If you keep the text small, try putting color behind the text to make it more visible. There are also filters that you can use. These have to be unlocked in your settings though. Once you unlock them and take a pic/vid, swipe to the left or right and you can see the different filter options.
Enlarge Emojis and put them on the photo. Draw a picture on the photo. So many options here.
6. Your snap stories where you need to put your focus! This is where you share content with all of your followers. When you swipe to the right from the camera page/view, you can see your story at the top of the page. If you hold it down, you can watch your full story in order. If you click on it instead, you'll see a drop list of all your snaps. Right next to it, you'll see an eye with a number. That is the number of people who watched your snaps. If you click on each individual snap, you can see each person's username that watched that snap in your story. Under your snap story, you'll see stories from the people you follow. You can watch them by just holding them down. When you watch someone else's story, if you tap the screen, it will let you skip that snap.
*Please don't make your snap stories over 100 seconds long a day! No one cares that much about what you're doing... unless you're Rihanna.
*I know that was a lot of basic info, and it looks stupid that I just explained it so much, but some people truly don't understand how to use the app.
What's the point of having Snapchat if you don't have any followers. You have to build a following. First, do the obvious. Post a screen shot of your username on your other social media channels. When people put their snap cameras over the picture, it will automatically follow you. People literally have to know your name on snapchat to find you. They're not going to randomly come across you unless they search the wrong name. Make your profile public as well! If you're trying to use this for branding and promotion, there is no reason for your profile to be private.
Post some of your snaps on your other social media channels sometimes. This gives people a taste of what they're missing and they'll want to go follow you. Also try to cross snap with friends and other people in your industry. Collab with people! These are all ways to drive other peoples audiences to you. Try to collab with people who have similar audiences. This really requires Gorilla marketing, and you'll have to promote it often until you get a decent following because not everyone is going to see your promotion or go follow you the first time you post about it.
Also, if you make video content, have people snap you and feature then in your videos like "LatoyasLife" on YouTube. This will make them go follow you on snapchat and it promotes interaction. Also, if you have a company, do special offers for your snapchat followers! Think outside the box. You can also do special behind the scenes for special things you're doing (like photoshoots or special events) and promote it on IG and Twitter, so that your followers will want to go follow you. Do exclusive tutorials on snapchat as well! THE POSSIBILIES ARE LITERALLY ENDLESS!!
This is the trickiest thing for everyone. Business people are so confused on whether or not they should super professional, or super personal. The answer is, you should be a good mixture of both. Get personal with your audience. Connect with them and give them a peak into your lifestyle. Show off your personalty and highlight your lifestyle. For me, I share everything from my food and random dancing, to behind the scenes of my blog and events. It's all about balance because snapchat is supposed to be a quick behind the scenes look into your life. It can be invasive. It's a great tool if you want to connect with your audience and clients on a deeper level. They will begin to feel like they really know you. The content doesn't need to be perfect, but not too raggedy either. The content still shouldn't be too far from your brand. The clearer,exciting, vibrant and more fun your content is, the more you will thrive. Be selective with what you upload as well. We don't have to see snaps of you driving, walking, singing songs, eating, etc. Put up content that you would be interested in yourself.
Also, set up your snap cash in your settings! If you sell products or services, this is amazing! Once you're done promoting the item/service, let them purchase it right then and there. Let your followers snap you cash. If you have a business, I'm sure you just got excited from that thought. It's truly a beautiful idea! The possibilities are endless.
THIS IS SUCH A BEAUTIFUL TOOL BECAUSE THE USER IS FOCUSED IN ON YOUR CONTENT. THEY HAD TO GO TO YOUR NAME AND WATCH THE CONTENT. YOU'RE NOT GETTING LOST IN SOMEONE'S SATURATED TIMELINE. THIS IS GOLD FOR ADVERTISERS AND BRANDS. THE MORE ENGAGED YOUR FOLLOWING IS, THE MORE MARKETABLE YOU ARE. GROW YOUR FOLLOWING AND TRY OUT DIFFERENT KINDS OF SNAPS TO SEE WHAT YOUR AUDIENCE LIKES THE BEST.
P.S. I'm sorry for any grammar errors! I'm going to revise later. I just wanted to get this up for you all ASAP, since it was highly anticipated.
Go Follow me on Snapchat!!! username: donibrown